The following is taken from Mobilise! 28, October 1990, (Newsletter of the New Zealand Anti-Vivisection Society).
All major institutions are infiltrated and the animal welfare, animal rights, Anti-Vivisection movement is no exception.
Vivisection is one of the most powerful commercial enterprises on Earth. Its protection comes from some surprising quarters.
- Self-promoted leaders of groups who steer policy from anti-vivisection to other areas of "animal welfare"… and who attack abolitionists on the grounds that
they must be "sensible and realistic". Leaders who carefully omit to publicise to their members the increasing number of medical professionals who are campaigning
for abolition… total and immediate. (Such leaders are either uninformed, intellectually lacking, or downright suspect… perhaps paid agents!) (In the UK the major
groups are run by "scientific advisers" who have been fully-fledged vivisectors.)
- Many of the large groups have huge investments in institutions performing toxicological experiments on animals. The RSPCA (UK) was exposed for extremely
big amounts invested in Boots, Beechams, BP, Glaxo, ICI and Unilever… all of which experiment on animals. The World Wildlife Fund is financed by CIBA Geigy.
Some of the big organisations take subsidies, or are in other ways financed by those who perform experiments.
- The subscribers to animal welfare groups who do not question the policy set by their leaders are instrumental in prolonging, delaying and otherwise hampering
the abolition of vivisection. Some groups are cleverly diverted to support the continuance of vivisection, camouflaged under the promotion of cruelty-free living and the pursuance of other issues.
- Journalists, Reporters and Editors who, acting in the interests of their advertisers perpetuate the myth that vivisection is beneficial, whilst suppressing,
discrediting and censoring the opinions of those who campaign against it.
- Politicians who are advised by Heads of Government departments: ie Agriculture, Health, Science, Education, all of whom are interconnected with vivisection.
Politicians, usually vociferous, are without exception, miraculously struck dumb at the mere mention of anti-vivisection.
- The public, who swallow and digest that which is administered to them, without question, interest or enquiry.
- Some of our own members who, when presented with the facts are either unwilling or incapable of understanding or coming to terms with them.
- The Vivisectors - the most easily demolished. Mostly they are "bio-medical" researchers, not doctors, who vivisect as a job… for a living. Who would be out of work
if research was to be concentrated on clinical investigation of the human problems.
For more information on why vivisection exists from a New Zealand perspective refer to Mobilise! 34, November 1992, Why Vivisection Exists.
For more information on the infiltration into animal welfare refer to CIVIS, Bullet-in Number 2.