One of the biggest problems with animal experimentation is that animal-free methods enable research that would otherwise be impossible.
Animal experiments have a lot of limitations. But new technologies provide innovative ways to overcome these obstacles!
Here are some examples:
- Tissue on Organ-Chips can be observed via live imaging in real-time.1
- Organ-Chips allow for tissue-specific non-invasive sampling during the observed processes.2
- Organ-Chips enable researchers to control every aspect of the microenvironment.3 They can also be used to compare the reactions of the same person to different treatments.4
- Gut-Chips allow for long-term anaerobic culture of human gut microbes (which is not possible in animals).5
- Brain-Chips can recreate reactions to chemotherapy for individual patients (decrease, resistance or aggressive growth of the same kind of tumour).6
- Placenta-Chips provide a highly controllable, dynamic microenvironment and permit the observation of cellular interactions and behaviour in real time.7
- The severity of the lack of oxygen can be adjusted and monitored in Organ-Chips (this plays a role in how cancer tissue reacts to treatment).8