NZAVS is Aotearoa’s only charity 100% dedicated to stopping animals from being used in experimentation, and we've been leading the fight against this archaic and cruel practice since 1978!
We're most well-known for our involvement in the renowned campaigns that successfully banned the testing of cosmetics and legal highs on animals in NZ.
To end animal experimentation and the harmful use of animals for research, testing and teaching in Aotearoa — for animals, humans, and science.
WHAT WE DO:
- Promote and advocate for animal-free research, including scientifically viable and non-harmful research, testing and teaching methods.
- Lobby for legislative and systemic changes.
- Collaborate with and encourage stakeholders to create positive changes.
- Educate to create cultural and societal change.
A future where we advance science without causing any suffering, for both animals and humans.
We are creating a world where:
- No animals are subject to cruel and painful experiments.
- People no longer believe that animals are appropriate models for human medical research and product safety testing.
- Viable and non-harmful scientific methods are always used.
- No more time or money is wasted on fruitless research.
- Human and animal health thrive.
- Science is upheld to its fullest integrity.
OUR CORE BELIEFS
The work we do is based on the following beliefs:
- Animals aren’t commodities; they are sentient and capable of a wide range of emotions, including pain, fear, and happiness. It is, therefore, morally wrong and unethical to exploit animals.
- Research, testing, and teaching should be species-specific. Due to their many differences, no species can be an accurate model for another. Animals can’t reliably predict the human response to drugs and disease.
- Research, testing, and teaching methods should always be non-harmful to both animals and humans. If a non-harmful and scientifically valid research, testing, or teaching method doesn’t yet exist, work should be done to develop one rather than continuing to use a fundamentally flawed or cruel method.
The values that are reflected in all our work are:
- NZAVS strives to be as ethical as possible towards humans, animals, and the environment. We are a vegan organisation and actively avoid purchasing products containing animal products and we are continuously improving our processes so that our practices are as environmentally friendly as they can be.
- We are an inclusive organisation committed to achieving our goals without contributing to the further marginalisation of any group, including tangata whenua, LGBTQIA+, and others. We aim to uplift and work alongside the LGBTQIA+ community and other marginalised communities.
- NZAVS acknowledges Māori as the traditional guardians of Aotearoa. We recognise that Māori have spiritual, social, and cultural connections with their whenua (land), their maunga (mountain) and awa (rivers). We honour and respect Te Tiriti o Waitangi and continue to develop the way we uphold the principles as an organisation.
The work that we publish and promote will be based on valid evidence.
NZAVS only promotes non-violent actions and tactics. We do not condone violence or abuse of any kind, verbal or otherwise, and we advocate respect for all beings, including humans.